By connecting the brightest young Africans with the educational opportunities they need, we can secure real progress for them and for our continent. It’s how we’ll shape and strengthen the next generation of African talent and African leaders.
The Standard Bank Africa, Derek Cooper Scholarship
The Standard Bank Africa, Derek Cooper Scholarship marks the culmination of over thirty years of direction, vision and action attributed to Derek Cooper, a true African business leader and former Chairman of the Standard Bank Group. “Africa is our home, and we are focused on driving her growth.” With a heritage of over 154 years, we are a leading integrated financial services group on the African continent with an on-the-ground presence in 20 countries in sub-Saharan Africa, where we also trade as Stanbic Bank.
It is becoming clearer that Africa has a critical role to play in shaping the 21st Century. The continent is increasingly interacting with the rest of the world on its own terms. Through this commitment, Standard Bank aims to champion those African leaders who will actively build a future for Africa, led by Africans.
These leaders will be asked to exercise global influence through visionary leadership. Nine students will be carefully vetted and selected to complete their post-graduate studies at the prestigious institutions of Cambridge, Oxford and The London School of Economics and Political Science in the United Kingdom. Each specializing in their unique areas of expertise, these individuals will represent the best and brightest Africa has to offer, introducing thoughtful challenge amongst their peers as they grow in courage, fair-mindedness and integrity. Their stay and studies will be fully-funded and backed by Standard Bank as part of our commitment to enable and empower them to become effective leaders in Africa.
Standard Bank Group Bursary
This scheme is targeted at school-leavers (matriculants or A level students) wishing to pursue an undergraduate degree in commerce, science, engineering or technology. Interested applicants must be registered with one of the following centres of excellence to qualify:
- The Sumbandila Scholarship Trust,
- Thandulwazi Maths and Science Academy
- The Star Schools
- Maths Centre Incorporating Sciences
- Sci- Bono
- Hammanskraal Project
- Targeting talent Wits
- Osizweni Education and Development Centre (OEDC)
- Hulisani project
- Kutlwanong centre for maths, science and technology Project
- UCT The Schools Improvement Initiative (SII)
Standard Bank Group Postgraduate Bursary
For financially deserving and academically sound undergraduates wishing to pursue postgraduate studies in commerce, science, engineering, mathematics and technology at our preferred academic institutions.
Standard Bank Group 150 bursaries – undergraduate studies
In honour of our 150th anniversary in 2012, we launched our 150 bursary and scholarship fund, designed to promote academic excellence (in various disciplines within commerce, science, engineering and technology) and to target a range of recipients. To apply for this bursary you must be a well- rounded, undergraduate student with strong academic results and entering your second or third year of study in commerce, science, engineering, mathematics and technology.
You can apply using one of the following options:
- Mail: Write a letter containing your name, surname and a valid postal address and postal code to: Standard Bank Bursary Programme, Studietrust, Private Bag X16, Braamfontein 2017
- Email: Send an email explicitly requesting a Standard Bank bursary application form, and containing your name, surname and a valid postal address and postal code to: email@example.com
- SMS: Sms the word STANDARD, your name, surname, postal address and postal code to 31022.
- Website application: Fill in an online application form on: www.studietrust.co.za
Read more and apply for this opportunity
Enquiries can be directed to Nadia DeLaRey at Nadia.DeLaRey@standardbank.co.za