Funding call for Masters and PhD Programmes for 2018
Internal bursary applications open 15 May 2017, close 30 June 2017
External bursary applications open 15 June 2017, close 31 July 2017
SACEMA invites applications for bursaries to study towards Masters or PhD degrees in fields relating to epidemiological modelling and biostatistics. A background in quantitative methods is required, and interdisciplinary experience is welcome. Previous exposure to SACEMA’s core research areas will be an advantage, and priority will be given to applicants demonstrating high motivation and affinities for SACEMA’s mission and goals.
|SACEMA POSTGRADUATE BURSARY SCHEMES
All SACEMA-funded students must work on a research project of direct relevance to SACEMA’s mission and are required to attend Research Days each year, with the associated costs being covered by SACEMA.
• Must be registered at SU; in most cases must be physically based at SACEMA
• Free participation in SACEMA-run short courses
• Project proposal is developed post-application
• Eligible to apply for travel support (as per SOP)
• Regular seminar attendance expected
• Not physically based at SACEMA
• Registered at any SA university with a SACEMA-affiliated or approved supervisor
• Proposal is required as part of application
• Participation in SACEMA-run short courses requires application and payment
• Eligible to apply for travel support to visit SACEMA
The DST-NRF Centre of Excellence in Epidemiological Modelling and Analysis (SACEMA) is a national research centre based at the University of Stellenbosch. The centre is dedicated to the modelling of disease transmission and progression, focusing on South Africa’s major health challenges. SACEMA provides research facilities and a stimulating environment in which scientists can interact to transcend disciplinary and institutional boundaries. Our goal is to engage innovatively with fundamental issues in epidemiology and produce quantitative evidence to guide important decisions in national and international health policy. It is part of SACEMA’s mission to foster links and generate inter-disciplinary collaborations with researchers at other institutions, hence bursaries are also available for applicants who intend to be based at another institution in South Africa, and supervised there.
SACEMA’s core research areas include:
* Surveillance methods, especially of HIV; in particular, incidence estimation methods and their application.
* Transmission and spread of sexually transmitted infections; in particular, the role of age-disparate relationships and inference of sexual networks from multiple data sources.
* Antiretroviral treatment outcomes; in particular, treatment resistance and immunology.
* Evaluating options for the control and prevention of infectious diseases; in particular, strategies to eliminate HIV and TB transmission.
* Zoonotic and vector borne diseases; in particular, the impact of climate change on tsetse-borne trypanosomiasis.
* Interactions between infectious diseases and chronic conditions, at the scale of individuals or populations.
For further details, instructions and application forms, go to:
Internal bursary applications for more information
External bursary applications will be posted on 15 June 2017
For a PDF to download or print, go here
Further enquiries may be directed to:
Ms Lynnemore Scheepers